This Subduction Zones interactive also includes:
Sink into an interactive learning experience about subduction zones! Junior oceanographers examine the earth-shaking and earth-making effects of subduction in the fourth installment in a 13-part series. Hands-on activities include graphing with a bathymetric map, interpreting bathymetric maps, and a close examination of the Mariana Arc.
- Pair learners to research the locations of large amounts of gold, silver, and other precious resources, then have them relate these locations to nearby subduction zones
- Use the critical thinking question as a writing assignment or in-class discussion topic
- Schedule time in your school's computer lab or library so individuals can complete the activity
- Some prior knowledge of the basic types of plate movement is helpful for comparison
- Bathymetric map exercises are colorful, well explained, and use several different skills at once
- Teachers can easily print the lesson, as well as all related materials, to accommodate different types of assessment