You'd be surprised what you can do with a string! The constraint is the length of string, and the task is to maximize area. Given a series of composite shapes, learners must create a formula for the maximum area for a specified perimeter. The shapes involve a combination of circles, rectangles, and triangles resulting in some unique configurations.
- Create a hands-on activity by providing groups with different lengths of string to analyze within the context of the problem
- Differentiate by providing individuals with different problems from the set of six
- Requires the ability to calculate areas and perimeters of composite figures
- Includes images to add clarity to the task
- The task requires a high level of thinking