This STEMonstrations: Kinetic and Potential Energy video also includes:
A roller coaster is the perfect model of the conversion between potential and kinetic energy. An installment from the STEMonstrations playlist introduces the concept of kinetic and potential energy in a quick video before challenging learners to build their own roller coaster models. Pupils then use the models to explore the idea of energy conversion.
- Have pupils diagram the areas of minimum and maximum kinetic and potential energy on their roller coaster
- Requires a specific set of materials and time for preparation
- Expects a familiarity with the idea of energy transfer
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Demonstrates potential and kinetic energy in a zero-gravity situation
- Encourages modeling as a strategy to help learn the concepts