This Sports Safety: Grades 6-8 lesson plan also includes:
Sports safety is the focus of two activities. Scholars read an article concerning sports safety then complete a handout that challenges them to list sports injuries and ways to prevent them. After reading the second set of articles, a discussion about safety tips turns into a quiz.
- Invite the school's nurse to speak to the class about injury prevention
- For the second activity, direct class members to discuss their articles with a peer, create a quiz, then trade it with another pair
- Post discussion questions on a classroom blog
- The activities require computers with internet access and copies of handouts
- Both activities come with an extension activity
- Activities drive home an important lesson in a simple and direct fashion