This Socratic Seminar/Group Discussion: The Crisis of the Civil War lesson plan also includes:
High schoolers work in four different groups to examine the many factors that led to the American Civil War. They research an assigned topic, prepare questions, and finally engage in a class discussion using the Socratic Seminar method.
14 Views 14 Downloads CCSS: Designed
- Extend learning by asking scholars to write reflective essays about a cause of the Civil War discussed by a different Socratic seminar group
- Requires handouts and class notes from the first semester/first half of the year
- Before beginning the activities, each group must understand certain significant events in history, such as the Compromise of 1850
- Provides a long list of primary sources to use
- Includes a grading rubric to help assess learning