Identifying the base is extremely important. Using five problems with negative exponents, the narrator demonstrates that knowing the base is important in simplifying algebraic expressions. The different problems use the same numbers but change the location of parentheses to alter the base. Pupils realize the difference at the beginning results in a major difference in the end.
- Have the class come up all the different ways to simplify an expression by changing the location of the parentheses
- Class members should be comfortable working with exponents in conjunction with parentheses
- Expects that students understand the negative exponent properties
- Shows the involved arithmetic
- Has a visual to remind viewers of the negative exponent rule