This Should We Have Mandatory Military Service? | America From Scratch instructional video also includes:
- Teacher Reference
- Join to access all included materials
Mandatory service in a democratic society? On July 1, 1973, the draft ended. Now the United States relies on an all-volunteer military. But what if all citizens were required to perform some sort of service, either military or public service? Viewers of a short PBS video are asked to consider what they think of such a proposal.
- Before viewing the video, have class members brainstorm the pros and cons of mandatory military service
- Create a second list of ideas for ways to engage in mandatory public service
- The video is part of the PBS "American From Scratch" series
- For enrichment, a link is provided to a related article about the history of the draft