This Searching for Mysis Shrimp - Field Trip video also includes:
Surely, the biggest fish in the lake will benefit from a meal of big, tasty shrimp! Take biology scholars on a trip to Flathead Lake in the second of a five-part Invertebrates series. Scientists currently studying the lake take the narrator on the hunt for mysis shrimp, introduced decades ago to provide food for hungry salmon ... and ended up eating the salmon out of house and home.
- Watch the field trip, then have pupils design their own shrimp studies to use at Flathead Lake
- Assign further reading to give the class more perspective on the mysis crisis
- Make sure students are familiar with common protists before viewing
- Seeing the research process from start to finish is interesting
- The video supports lessons on lake ecosystems, food webs, and animal relationships