This Propaganda Techniques lesson plan also includes:
In an age of fake news, alternative facts, and biased reporting, it is more important than ever that 21st century learners develop the critical-thinking skills necessary to recognize, analyze and resist the propaganda techniques used in all sorts of media. Class members watch Kony 2010, and analyze the propaganda techniques that made it a viral hit. Viewers then apply what they have learned to an analysis of the trailer for The Interview and to the subsequent controversy that developed over the film.
- Flip the lesson, asking class members to view the Kony 2010 video out of class, saving class time for discussion
- Have groups analyze current commercials, political statements, and media reports and identify the propaganda techniques being used
- Be sure to read the linked New York Times article that provides background information on the film and the filmmaker
- The second in a series of six related resources
- The three-page packet includes links to the videos, a detailed plan, discussion questions, and a worksheet