This Primary Source Worksheet: Theodore Roosevelt, Excerpt from Inaugural Address worksheet also includes:
"Much has been given us, and much will rightfully be expected from us." As part of a series of worksheets that provide readers with an opportunity to develop their primary source comprehension skills, kids examine an excerpt from Theodore Roosevelt's 1905 inaugural address.
- Ask groups to identify current perils the US has outgrown, new perils we face, and complex and intense aspects of American life
- Collect the entire set of worksheets and use periodically as skill-building exercises
- Sort the worksheets by subject and incorporate into appropriate units
- After a mini-lesson on rhetorical devises, ask groups to identify the strategies Roosevelt uses in his speech
- The admonitions in the address are sure to engage readers
- The worksheet contains both questions that encourage close reading and a list of suggested activities