This Primary Source Worksheet: Theodore Roosevelt, Excerpt from Eighth Annual Message to Congress worksheet also includes:
As Theodore Roosevelt reminded Congress in 1908, corporation one is not corporation two. Readers of this excerpt from Roosevelt's Message to Congress have an opportunity to sharpen their comprehension skills as they study this primary source document that warns against generalizing about capitalists and corporations.
- Ask readers to compare the ideas in this message to Congress with those in Roosevelt's "Square Deal" speech
- Ask readers to consider the dangers Roosevelt identifies and whether or not these dangers are an issue today
- Collect the entire set of worksheets and use periodically as skill-building exercises
- Sort the worksheets by subject and incorporate into appropriate units
- The worksheet contains both questions that encourage close reading and a list of suggested activities
- Readers are not asked to connect Roosevelt's speech to issues today