This Predicting/Making a Hypothesis activity also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
As an introduction to the hypothesis and testing method of investigation, young history detectives engage in a special investigation of a family artifact. After watching a short video that demonstrates the method, they develop a hypothesis about the origin of the artifact. They then gather evidence about how the item became part of the family to see if their original theory was correct.
- Encourage young sleuths to select a family artifact that comes with a tale about how the item came to be important to the family, a tale they can research
- Requires detectives to have their classifications and observations list created for the previous lesson in the series
- First of a two-part lesson
- Provides an opportunity to practice the method while connecting home and school life
- Uses a clip from a real investigation to model the process