This Phonological Awareness: Rhyme, Rhyme or No Rhyme lesson plan also includes:
Rhyming is fun, builds phonemic awareness, and is a tried and true pre-reading skill. This activity helps learners identify words that rhyme. Young scholars listen to a song, locate a rhyming word they hear by clapping then draw a picture representation of the word.
- If you do not have rhyming songs readily available, record yourself singing or telling stories with rhyming words
- Conduct the activity with a small group, and play the song for all to hear—no need for headphones
- Requires songs with rhyming words, an audio player, paper, and drawing tools
- The gloves do not serve a purpose
- Rhyming songs add a musical feature that is engaging to most pupils
- It does not include rhyming word media