This Phases of a Total Solar Eclipse video also includes:
Prepare to be amazed! An activity from PBS's Space series introduces interested astronomers to the wonders of a total solar eclipse. After viewing recorded reactions to the eclipse in 2017, individuals explore what happens during each phase of the phenomenon.
- Add some images of Bailey's beads to the lesson and ask the class to sketch what the moon's surface must look like to produce the pattern they see
- Use one or more of the discussion questions as a post-lesson writing assignment
- Consider pre-cutting and bagging the solar eclipse phase pieces to reduce the time needed for the activity
- The click-through total solar eclipse is a fantastic resource to engage in making comparisons and constructing explanations
- Watching the reactions of eclipse viewers adds to the excitement of the lesson