The Monroe Doctrine is one of the longest-lasting presidential policies, and it still impacts foreign policy today. Using three clips from historians and archivists, scholars explore the world of James Monroe and his watershed statement. Footage includes images of the actual doctrine, as it was recorded as part of a State of the Union address in the 1820s.
- Offer the first video clip to introduce the principles of the Monroe Doctrine
- Integrate linked resources to show the Monroe Doctrine's extension into today's foreign policy
- The videos require free C-SPAN Classroom account; teachers must create one or use the credentials: Username students and Password C-SPANCLASSROOM
- Resource takes teachers to additional videos relevant to American foreign policy
- Carefully edited video segments are easy to use in lesson plans