Immigration is a hot topic in the news, but it has been a part of the American story for centuries. Learners explore Ellis Island and its connection to the American immigration story with a video tour of Ellis Island, Congressional debate about creating a day to remember the site, and investigating one author's stories about the place. To finish, they consider what place Ellis Island should have in the American memory.
- Pair with other resources to create a WebQuest style project on American immigration
- Offer the author's perspective on the immigrant experience to start a project on the oral history of other immigrants
- Create a free account or use the credentials Username: students, Password: C-SPANCLASSROOM
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Author's story about one family is powerful and gripping
- Video tour includes intriguing pictures and footage