This Off-Road Wheelchair Challenge activity & project also includes:
Challenge your class to use their understanding of the engineering design process to design and build a small-scale, off-road prototype for an assistive technology device. Teams select materials to build their scale models, and, using simulated off-road surfaces, test the models and determine the amount of force required to pull the prototype.
- Have a student or person with physical disabilities share with the class the daily obstacles they face being in a wheelchair
- The class should be familiar with the engineering design process and its cyclical nature
- Create the simulated surfaces prior to the teams building their model prototypes
- The second challenge in a series of four
- The timeline suggests the sequence and timing of activity segments
- The Additional Multimedia Support and References sections provide resources for teams to use during the research stage