This Obesity: Grades 9-12 lesson plan also includes:
High schoolers take on the role of the nation's first Teen Nutrition and Fitness Czars and create tips that can be texted to other teens to remind them about healthy eating and exercising. Groups read articles to gather background information on the topic then craft their memorable and catchy text messages.
- Invite a health care professional and a member of the counseling staff to participate in the lesson and to watch for class members who may need extra support
- Divide the class into five groups, assign each a different article to read, discuss, and use as the basis of their text message
- A protocol must in place to assure a safe, respectful discussion
- Pupils need access to computers with internet
- Provides information about the importance of good nutrition and fitness
- The assignment has the potential to be used for fat-shaming or bullying; caution pupils against such behaviors