This Natural Selection and the Evolution of Darwin's Finches activity also includes:
Darwin explained the connection between species of finches 150 years before scientists understood DNA. Technology and progressing science proved he was right, yet many struggle to understand how natural selection happens. Scholars use pictures of finches and sort them based on appearances as they watch a movie on natural selection. They work in groups to answer questions and understand how multiple branches of science support evolution.
- Discuss other species that scientists have seen evolve through natural selection, such as the peppered moth
- Lesson length can vary based on the discussions and how much homework you assign
- Relies on prior knowledge of traits, inherited traits, survival, reproduction, as well as how to construct and interpret graphs
- Connects science, history, math, and geography
- Offers teacher tips throughout to help the lesson run smoothly