This Modeling with Polynomials—An Introduction (part 1) lesson plan also includes:
Maximizing resources is essential to productivity. Class members complete an activity to show how math can help in the process. Using a piece of construction paper, learners construct a box with the maximum volume. Ultimately, they create a scatter plot and regression curve for the possible volumes.
- Make the task a competition: the box with the maximum volume wins
- Ask each group to share their strategy for finding the maximum volume of their box
- Pupils need construction paper, scissors, and rulers for the activity
- Includes step-by-step activity instructions
- Provides a set of problems for independent practice to solidify concepts from the activity