This Modeling Motion: Rolling Cups lesson plan also includes:
Connect the size of a rolling cup to the size of circle it makes. Pupils view videos of cups of different sizes rolling in a circle. Using the videos and additional data, they attempt to determine a relationship between cup measurements and the size of the circle. After working individually on the task, pairs share their strategies and come up with a plan to collect more data to develop a relationship. The pairs also evaluate sample work to enhance their thinking processes.
- Create groups that used different approaches to solve the initial problem
- Use the rolling cup calculator to find the radius for several cups by changing only one of the parameters
- The teacher should be familiar with the Formative Assessment Lesson strategies
- Includes videos to see how the cups roll, offering a great visual to better understand the concept
- Contains a script for the teacher to help guide the discussions