This Mineral Formation: Evaporating Lake interactive also includes:
Get crazy for crystals! Junior geologists learn the secrets of crystal formation through lecture, reading, and examples. Other topics include common ionic compounds found in fresh and salt water, the effects of location on forming crystals, and how heat and pressure influence a crystal's shape and composition.
- Assign the interactive for homework and have the class take notes from the embedded lecture
- Make Borax crystals in the lab to give learners an up-close look at how they form
- Sign up for a CK-12 account to access the interactive; it's free
- Consider reviewing ionic compounds briefly before pupils use the resource
- The interactive and images throughout the presentation give learners a variety of examples of minerals
- Students receive feedback on their answers to the Challenge Me questions to assess their progress