This Maintaining Mass lesson plan also includes:
Can you disprove the law of conservation of mass? Pupils observe the teacher weigh each part of a reaction. Then, the teacher weighs the result of the reaction and everyone sees that the products do not equal the reactants. Then they must decide if the teacher made a mistake or if the scientific law is wrong and prove their positions.
- After the lesson, discuss where the mass for plant growth comes from
- Relies on prior knowledge of matter, the periodic table, and identifying the difference between physical and chemical changes
- Have extra balloons available as students may tear use them incorrectly before they discover the answer
- Includes answer keys
- Uses materials that are easy to find
- Requires higher level thinking and problems solving skills