This Lesson 2: Misinformation lesson plan also includes:
Fake news is a hot topic right now ... but what is it? Intrepid young investigators track down the facts that separate journalistic mistakes and misinformation through reading, research, and discussion. Part three in a five-lesson series from iCivics teaches pupils the methods used to validate news content.
- Have individuals pick a current event and research it to look for misleading coverage of the story
- Pull a few questions out of the lesson and create interesting whole-group discussions from them
- Students will need their own computers and Internet access to complete the lesson
- Sign up for a free iCivics account to acquire resources for the activity
- The lesson is engaging and well-written
- Teacher's guide contains printables, answer keys, and a variety of options for changing the structure of the activities