This Lesson 11 - Affixes with Unchanging Base Words lesson plan also includes:
Adding an affix to a word sometimes changes its meaning, just like magic. Using 11th of 17 lessons in the Word Recognition and Fluency series, readers become vocabulary magicians, learning to form and decode words that contain common affixes. Model and teach activities help introduce the common prefixes and suffixes, while foldable and writing activities provide extra practice using the concepts.
- Place a common prefix on the board and practice placing other words next to it to see if it makes a real word
- Play charades and have classmates try to guess the ing words their peers act out
- Lesson focuses on affixes that do not change the spelling of the word
- Includes printable word cards for easy studying
- Reviews previously taught concepts before beginning the lesson
- Examples focus on a small selection of affixes, while practice opportunities introduce more