This Juneteenth General Order interactive also includes:
While Juneteenth was more than 150 years ago, today Americans debate whether it should be a national holiday. Using a military declaration proclaiming the last of the enslaved people in Texas free, individuals look at the significance of this moment. A set of prompts helps them analyze the document and discuss how the event should be remembered.
- Use the resource to stimulate a classroom debate on making Juneteenth a federal holiday
- Offer the activity as a part of study of Civil War
- Class members need to access a computer for the activity
- Activity makes connections between historical events and today
- Zoom features allow for class members to get up close to an important document
- While there is a submission feature on the activity, it is not clear to whom the answers go