Ads here, ads there, ads everywhere—but what do they communicate? Pupils discuss this topic and develop a list of personal values. They then work as creative directors at an advertising firm to create billboards that reflect community values. The eye-catching instructional activity helps enhance reading comprehension by practicing visual literacy.
- Have individuals compose a poem about their values to accompany their billboards
- Find video excerpts related to advertising and marketing and/or photos of local billboards
- Have statistics on hand about billboards (their influence, cost, visibility, laws, and other topics)
- Requires a white board and markers, paper and writing utensils, and art and collage materials
- Includes alternative options for a couple activities
- Provides lesson extensions
- Some parts of the procedure are a little confusing