This Immigration: Why Come to the United States? lesson plan also includes:
Don't limit your curriculum to texts! Young historians listen to a song, read an interview, and examine a cartoon as they explore motivations for immigrating to the US in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
18 Views 21 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- When finished, compare to some of the modern debates surrounding immigration in the US: why do immigrants want to come to the USA today?
- Have students search for and examine other songs that deal with immigration
- The link for the interview with Rosa Bolognese DaDamio is broken, but you can find the interview and others online
- To access the flipchart file, you'll need a piece of software that can open .flipchart files
- The inclusion of the Neil Diamond song helps pupils think about the relationship between music and controversial issues