This Image Analysis: In Their Own Words lesson plan also includes:
Images often convey more than words. Scholars examine political cartoons from the American Revolution to understand how images have the ability to express political ideas. Academics participate in group discussion, complete a worksheet, and create their own political cartoons to understand the power of images to express ideas.
- Compare a political cartoon from the American Revolution to a modern-day cartoon
- Arrange for an artist to speak to the class about the connection between art and politics
- Activity is part of unit 2, Through Their Eyes: Major Causes and Events of the American Revolution Teacher Resource Guide
- Requires Internet access to complete the activity
- Activity uses primary sources to enhance learning
- The resource includes an extension activity if time allows