This Identifying How Text Features Support Arguments: “The Exterminator" lesson plan also includes:
Half and half. Split the class in half to gain a full understanding of sidebars. Pupils work in groups to discuss sidebars in text. Half of the groups read Seriously Sick, and the other half reads Killer Genes. They read using highlighters to mark vocabulary, claims, and evidence and then use sticky notes to add two words to the Scientific Word Wall.
- Review sidebar information from previous lessons
- Lesson six of 13 in Grade 6 ELA Module 4, Unit 1
- Requires completing lessons in order
- Uses highlighters and sticky notes
- Includes a glossary for each text
- Divides the work load for readers to share work