Help young learners understand friendship and empathy with two reading comprehension lessons. Each instructional activity focuses on a story about a child with autism, and encourages readers to compare and contrast the characters to each other and to themselves.
- Read the stories aloud to youngsters twice; have them listen all the way through the first time, and pause for discussion the second time
- Lead a discussion about autism to see what your kids already understand, and to provide prior knowledge
- Assign some of the activities as homework for kids to work with parents
- The stories are about autism, so you'll need to provide enough information for kids to understand the sensitive nature of what they are reading
- Provides bonus activities for enrichment and extension
- Offers reading comprehension questions, vocabulary words, and additional activities to synthesize information
- Copies of both stories are necessary in order to complete the lesson