This How We Get Our Skin Color instructional video also includes:
Is our skin color determined only by genetics? Explore skin science through a video and related interactive. Young biologists discover the cells of the epidermis, how melanin is made, and the factors that influence the outward appearance of humankind's largest organ.
- Show the video as a part of a whole class experience, or go one-on-one with the interactive version that includes more information and links
- Do a quick pairs activity where students discuss genetics and environmental factors that contribute to skin color
- Make sure pupils are clear on the organelles found in the cells of the epidermis by reviewing a diagram before the video begins
- The explanations are grade-appropriate and detailed
- Colorful animations illustrate the process of creating and shipping melanin between melanocytes and keratinocytes