This How to Teach Your Students about Fake News lesson plan also includes:
What media literacy skills do people need to evaluate a news source? Scholars listen to and discuss an NPR story about how fake headlines often dupe young people and adults alike. Next, they study news stories, using a fact-checking website to determine their authenticity, to better help them decipher the validity of future news.
- Have pupils compile a list of actual and imaginary news headlines and ask partners to guess which ones are real and fake
- Show learners the video How To Spot Fake News
- Part of the News and Media Literacy series
- Includes a link to a Stanford University study about media literacy
- Offers ideas for extending the lesson
- Link to the checklist of 10 questions for fake news detection is broken