This How Do Fibers Form? activity & project also includes:
The proteins inside a cell determine the shape of the cell. While most red blood cells have a circular shape, those with sickle cell take the shape of a sickle. This change in shape causes multiple issues in the system. Scholars solve the puzzle as they construct models of red blood cells and learn how the structure of proteins impacts the shape.
- Share a brief video about sickle cell disease
- Relies on prior knowledge of sickle cell disease, malaria, genetics, physiology, and protein structure
- Prep the Hb molecules, including laminating, and the mosquito netting circles prior to class for long-term use
- Includes many teaching tips to facilitate a successful lesson
- Offers a built-in extension idea