This Group Project: Freedom Parade lesson plan also includes:
Parades are a great way to celebrate. Get young historians into the festivities by asking them to create an informational float for a Freedom Parade. Picking a topic from the provided list or suggesting one of their own, class members research the topic, design and build their float, and participate in a celebratory parade.
- As part of the float assignment, include size restrictions
- Photograph the floats and save several as models for subsequent classes
- Include the project as part of a school-wide celebration of Black History Month
- The culminating project in a unit on the Civil War and Reconstruction
- Included in the packet is a list of suggested topics that relate to slavery and freedom
- No rubric is included