This Graphs: Parallel lines video also includes:
Parallel lines must always have the same slope. Learners use this bit of information to extend their equation writing skills. A video lesson explains how to write the equation of a line parallel to a given line and through a given point. The video instructor then demonstrates the calculations using slope-intercept form.
- Have pupils begin by completing a discovery activity to learn that the slopes of parallel lines are equal
- Extend the lesson to include perpendicular lines for more advanced pupils
- Assumes students know how to write the equation of a line given a point and slope
- Relates the equation of the lines to their graph
- Uses visuals to reinforce the concepts