This Grade 9 ELA Module 4, Unit 1, Lesson 9 lesson plan also includes:
The supplemental text, “How Your Addiction to Fast Fashion Kills,” offers learners an opportunity to compare how other writers use evidence to support the argument that "rich countries benefit from harsh and abusive labor practices in poor countries." Groups compare the rhetoric used in the article with a chapter in Sugar Changed the World.
- Have groups research where specific brand named clothing is produced and the working conditions in these factories
- Requires additional prep time to prepare individual copies of the supplemental text, “How Your Addiction to Fast Fashion Kills.”
- Requires individual copies of Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos' Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science, the central text of the unit
- The ninth in a 28-lesson unit
- The 14-page packet includes a detailed plan, discussion questions with model answers, and a template for the worksheet