This Grade 9 ELA Module 4, Unit 1, Lesson 8 lesson plan also includes:
In a close reading of "The Overseer" chapter from Sugar Changed the World groups focus on the words Aronson and Budhos use to contrast the lifestyles of slaves and their masters. The whole class then engages in an evidence-based discussion of the impact these words and phrases have on readers and how they are specifically chosen to support the central argument of the text.
- Assign groups different passages, ask them to change the words and phrases, and then analyze the impact these changes have on their response to the description
- The focus of the one-unit module is on helping writers develop the skills they need to develop well-crafted arguments supported by strong evidence
- The eighth in a 28 lesson unit designed to directly address Common Core reading and writing standards for grade 9
- Requires individual copies of Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos' Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science, the central text of the unit
- The nine-page packet includes a detailed plan and discussion questions with sample, high quality responses