This Grade 9 ELA Module 4, Unit 1, Lesson 4 lesson plan also includes:
Class members continue their examination of how writers develop and support their ideas by comparing two different texts about globalization. Alongside chapters from Sugar Changed the World, young scholars read an article provided by the World Bank entitled "Globalization" to gain insight into benefits and drawbacks of the sharing of ideas and goods.
- Assign groups various products and have them map the route item followed to reach their table
- The unit uses Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos' Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science as a central text
- The fourth in a 28 lesson unit, designed to directly address Common Core reading and writing standards for grade 9, focuses on helping writers develop the skills they need to develop well-crafted arguments supported by strong evidence
- The 9-page packet includes a detailed plan, discussion questions, and model responses
- The supplemental article alerts readers to the benefits and drawbacks of the patterns detailed in Aronson and Budhos' book