This Grade 9 ELA Module 4, Unit 1, Lesson 15 lesson plan also includes:
The Haitian Revolution takes center stage as class members analyze a passage from Sugar Changed the World and consider how the authors select, present, and organize events to show how the tensions between the concerns for freedom and concerns for property led to the revolution.
- Vary the lesson pattern and assign the reading passage and the analysis tool as homework
- Provide groups with a map of the Caribbean Island and have them locate Haiti, Saint Domingue, and the shipping lanes to the United States and to Europe
- The 15th lesson in a unit designed to address ninth grade reading and language Common Core standards
- Requires individual copies of Sugar Changed the World
- The 11-page packet includes a detailed plan, discussion questions with suggested responses, worksheets, and answer keys
- All the lessons in the unit follow the same pattern