This Grade 9 ELA Module 4, Unit 1, Lesson 14 lesson plan also includes:
As a mid-unit assessment, writers use evidence from the supplemental reading articles, “Globalization,” “Your Addiction to Fast Fashion Kills,” and “Bangladesh Factory Collapse: Who Really Pays for our Cheap Clothes?” to draft an argument outline for the prompt, "Who bears the most responsibility for ensuring that clothes are ethically manufactured?"
- Project a sample argument on a different topic and have class members use the rubric to assess the piece
- The focus of the one-unit module is on helping writers develop the skills they need to develop well-crafted arguments supported by strong evidence
- The 14th in a 28 lesson unit designed to directly address Common Core reading and writing standards for grade 9
- The unit uses Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos' Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science as a central text
- The 15-page packet includes a detailed plan, a template for the Argument Outline Tool, a key for the tool, and a rubric for the assignment
- The time frame is unrealistic; have class members complete their Argument Outline Tool as homework