This Grade 9 ELA Module 4, Unit 1, Lesson 12 lesson plan also includes:
Anna McMullen's opinion piece “Bangladesh Factory Collapse: Who Really Pays for our Cheap Clothes?” offers readers another opportunity to examine how writers craft and support their arguments. After reading McMullen's article, class members examining the claims she makes and the counter claims she considers.
- Have class members investigate whether conditions have improved in the factory since the events described in the article
- Requires individual copies of a third supplementary text, “Bangladesh Factory Collapse: Who Really Pays for our Cheap Clothes?”
- Requires individual copies of Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos' Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science, the central text of the unit
- The 11th in a 28-lesson unit that focuses on how writers structure and support their arguments
- The 11-page packet includes a detailed plan and discussion questions with model responses
- Little variety in the lesson plans included in the unit