This Grade 9 ELA Module 4, Unit 1, Lesson 1 lesson plan also includes:
How do writers introduce and develop the central ideas in a text? To answer this question, ninth graders closely examine “The Age of Honey,” the opening chapter in Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos' Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science, and analyze the details the writers use to develop the main idea of the chapter.
- Have individuals catalogue the kinds of sugar and other sweeteners found in their kitchens
- The focus of the one-unit module is on helping writers develop the skills they need to develop well-crafted arguments supported by strong evidence
- The first in a 28 lesson unit designed to directly address Common Core reading and writing standards for grade 9
- The unit uses Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos' Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science as a central text
- The 16-page packet includes a detailed plan, discussion questions with model responses, and a homework assignment