This Grade 11 ELA Module 2: Unit 2, Lesson 11 lesson plan also includes:
The speaker of Audre Lorde's poem "From the House of Yemanjá" describes her mother's two faces, adding a whole new meaning to the phrase two-faced. Pupils first read the final stanza of the contemporary poem. With a Quick Write, they analyze how the author develops central ideas, such as the concept of a dual identity, throughout the text.
- Invite small groups to discuss what it means to have a dual identity
- Lesson 11 of 14 from the Grade 11 ELA Module 2: Unit 2 series
- Students may need additional blank copies of the Short Response Rubric and Checklist
- Addresses Common Core standards for writing, reading, vocabulary, and listening and speaking
- Provides ideas for lesson differentiation