This Golden Rice – Evaluating the Pros and Cons lesson plan also includes:
More than half the world's population eats rice as a daily staple ... imagine if that rice could prevent illness. Scientists genetically engineered rice to include vitamin A for just that purpose. However, room for debate still exists. Scholars read two articles on golden rice with contrary conclusions and must decide what they believe.
- Discuss multiple approaches to solve the vitamin A problem rather than just golden rice
- Encourage everyone arguing both sides rather and seeing that the same facts often lead to different conclusions
- Relies on prior knowledge of scientific arguments and vitamin A
- Encourages healthy debate
- Offers opportunities to read critically and consider fact versus opinion