It's not a time machine—it's a function machine! Using two rules, the video introduces a function machine that changes an input to an output. Pupils answer questions such as finding what is the input for a given output and what values provide an equal value after going through the function machine.
- Pair classmates and have each create a function machine, but keep the rule secret. One provides an input and the other gives the output. The one giving the input tries to guess the function rule
- Provide students with practice using function machines
- The class should be able to translate from words to algebraic expressions
- Begins with basic function machine questions and works toward more difficult ones
- Includes an embedded video along with one on YouTube