This Foil Boats lesson plan also includes:
How many pennies can an aluminum foil boat hold? That is the challenge in a collaborative activity designed to explore the concept of buoyancy. Learners use aluminum foil to build makeshift boats and test the weight they hold before sinking. They also explore concepts of density and displacement as an extension exercise.
- Create a competition to see whose boat can hold the most pennies
- Review concepts of buoyancy, density, and center of gravity prior to the activity
- Requires a specific set of materials listed in the lesson materials
- Allows pupils to learn through discovery
- Includes possible guiding questions