This Finding the Epicenter lesson plan also includes:
The epicenter is the point on the ground above the initial point of rupture. The 10th lesson plan in a series of 20 encourages scholars to learn to triangulate the epicenter of an earthquake based on the arrival times of p waves and s waves. The teacher walks through the process step by step in order to facilitate mastery.
- View recent earthquakes throughout the world https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/
- It would be helpful if students have prior experience with using a compass to measure and draw a circle
- Some of the questions required on the conclusion worksheet were not covered in the lesson as written, but they should be answered in all standard text books
- Uses a 5E lesson format to provide familiarity throughout the series
- Includes cross-curricular connections to math and science
- Finding the Epicenter worksheet is fuzzy and difficult to read