This Fact Patterns: A Film Guide activity also includes:
What does it take to create a scientific theory? Learners attempt to answer the question by studying the work of Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace. While watching a video, they track observations from each scientist and then look for patterns in these results. They then write their own theories based on their notes from the observations.
- Use as an exploration of the scientific method
- After the activity, have classes compare and contrast the Darwin and Wallace theories
- An understanding of natural selection prior to the activity is helpful
- Includes detailed background information for additional study
- Provides a key with sample answers to the student handout