The three methods of extracting salt — evaporation of seawater, salt mining, and solution in water — are the focus of an informative video that includes additional interesting details, such as the fact that the word salary is based on the word salt because Roman soldiers were often paid in salt.
- If possible, visit a salt mine or salt refinery
- Use evaporation to extract salt from salt water
- Requires no prior knowledge, but it is helpful to know the molecular structure and properties of sodium chloride
- Video is the 19th in a 21-part series
- Includes a discussion of what happens to empty salt mines and their impact on the surrounding community
- Uses various colors to highlight the new vocabulary